Wednesday, December 20, 2006

cpu fan cooler issues, and my plan B...

I'm about to take a short break for the holidays, but this last few days have been extra slow due to continuous issues with the server which hosts the mysql-ha project.

Last night the cpu fan cooler died on us, and we're using a borrowed (we're that much in need of hardware! hehe) one until tomorrow.

This week I intend to get the site back to stable, with a geographically distant (3 km) backup node in case anything goes wrong with the server. (One node is in my dad's house, the other in our office, but 'geographically distant' sounds fancier, right?)

Our network link is also to blame for a lot of our issues but there's not much we can do about that, unless you can figure out a way to break a state owned monopoly!

Anyway, as you can see, right know work is focused on mundane sysadmin tasks (but a few nice scripts and maybe another project might come out of this), but by next weekend I intend to have what will probably be the last release of 2006, and hopefully the last alpha.........

BTW, I'm making good use of my (very little) spare time, so while running some backups on our server, I'm installing plan9 in our older server (we had to take that box out of duty a couple of months ago due to the heavy traffic new interest in the project produced!).
I haven't seen much of it so far, but I have a feeling I'll be getting a crush real soon now..

I intend to document my experience with this system on this blog too, so I hope the seven people that read me regularly (I read my stats!) find this interesting too.

Happy Hacking!

No comments: